Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Creamy Pumpkin Soup

I don't think I'd ever had pumpkin soup before I made it myself, a few years ago. To tell the truth, it sounded kind of weird because I had only had sweet pumpkin recipes. But I gave it a try and by now it has become a Family Favorite! I look forward to this time of year when pumpkins are more plentiful and I start craving all those yummy fall recipes.

I found this recipe at Pumpkin Nook, a great place to find delicious ideas. And the only thing I changed was to omit the cinnamon.

Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Yield: 6 servings

16 oz. pumpkin (fresh pureed or canned)
13.75 oz. chicken broth
1 large onion
2 carrots, sliced
2 c. half and half or evaporated milk (in a pinch, I've also used regular milk)
1/4 c. sour cream
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 tsp. (or less) salt
bacon bits, optional

In large pot add chicken broth, onions, carrot, baking soda, salt and pepper.
Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes until carrots are soft.
Put vegetable and broth into a food processor or blender--or use immersion blender--and blend until smooth.
Return to pot.
Add pumpkin and half and half.
Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
Serve topped with sour cream and bacon bits, if desired.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...