Ham (or Shrimp) Fried Rice
4 c. cooked brown rice
2 large eggs
1 Tb. sesame oil (or canola, but sesame is best)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. canola oil
1 tsp. fresh garlic, minced
2 c. or less diced ham or 3/4 lb. pre-cooked shrimp (I like it diced)
1 c. fresh bean sprouts or other vegetable
1/2 c. frozen peas or other vegetable
1/2 c. green onion, sliced (or other type of onion--which should be cooked with garlic at beginning)
soy sauce, to taste
- Prepare rice.
- Beat eggs with sesame (or other) oil and salt and set aside. (Note, I've tried a couple different oils and sesame oil is far and away the best kind to use for this recipe. It's an investment to buy a bottle, but since so little is used each time, the bottle lasts quite a while.)
- Heat large fry pan or wok over high heat. Add canola oil and garlic (and white onion, if using) and stir-fry 10 seconds.
- Add ham or shrimp (or other meat) and cook 5 min. or until warmed through.
- Add rice and stir-fry 5 min.
- Make a well in center of rice and pour in egg mixture. Cook without stirring for 1 min. Stir eggs into rice mixture.
- Add bean sprouts, peas, and green onions, and stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Drizzle soy sauce over top and stir in until tastes like you want. Serve.