Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Monday, February 13, 2012

Chicken Asparagus Casserole

A couple days ago I was looking up asparagus recipes online and found this one. It uses fresh asparagus and other vegetables, which was just what I needed. This is definitely one I will be using again! I love how all the flavors complement each other and all the colors create a cheerful-looking dish. Note: This recipe would also be delicious without the chicken.

CHICKEN ASPARAGUS CASSEROLE

8 ozs egg noodles (I didn't have these, so I used whole wheat corkscrew pasta)
1 1/3 Tb. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 c. cooked chicken, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 c. chicken stock (I just used the water in which I cooked the chicken)
1 1/2 c. sour cream (I was almost out of this, so I also used some plain yogurt)
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
garlic salt, to taste
1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces (I used more)
8 Tb. fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided (I didn't want to use up all my Parmesan, so I used half this amount, plus some grated Monterrey Jack I had on hand. This was a good substitution, but the Parmesan definitely adds a lot to the flavor, so don't substitute it out completely.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9x12 casserole dish.
Cook noodles until almost tender; drain.
Cook onion in olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add red pepper, celery, and chicken stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken at end.
Take off heat and add sour cream, oregano, and garlic salt.
Spread half the chicken mixture in prepared dish.
Arrange asparagus over chicken mixture. Spread noodles evenly over this and sprinkle half the Parmesan cheese over the top.
Cover with remaining chicken mixture, then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake 30 minutes in preheated oven, until lightly browned.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...