Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Friday, August 23, 2013

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

This recipe (which I barely modified) came from my cousin, Brandi. I don't know where she got it, but it's absolutely delectable! Everyone but my pickiest eater LOVED it, and my 2 year-old kept wanting more. I perfectly understood how he felt... :)

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

1/2 c. butter
1 chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. cubed carrots
1/2 lb. diced mushrooms (we had to omit these for the kids' sake, but I would love to use them)
1/2 c. bell pepper, chopped or cut in strips
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
6 c. chicken broth
2 c. cooked wild rice (brown rice would probably work great too)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 tsp. dried/fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 c. slivered almonds
3 Tb. dry sherry (or a non-alcoholic substitute--I used some white wine vinegar with a little raw sugar)
2 c. half-and-half (or whipping cream)

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, celery, and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.

Add mushrooms and bell pepper, saute for 2 more minutes.

Add flour and stir well.

Gradually pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly, until all has been added. Bring just to boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer.

Add rice, chicken, salt, curry, mustard, parsley, pepper, almonds, and sherry. Simmer for 1-2 hours. (I just let it cook as long as it took me to prepare the rest of dinner and set the table, etc, which was about an hour.)

Pour in half-and half 15-20 minutes before serving and allow to heat thoroughly without boiling.

Note: Stir frequently because everything sticks to the bottom of the pan!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...