Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Fluoride Debate

"Fluoridation is the greatest case of scientific fraud of this century."
-Robert Carlton, Ph.D, former EPA scientist, 1992

Ever since my home town voted years ago on whether or not to put fluoride in the water, I have heard numerous debates coming from both sides of the issue. I have had different dentists who stand firmly on either side too, and I've read literature for both. After all of this, I still return to my original feeling that fluoridated water is not the way to go. And this study I just read confirms that in a surprising way. It makes me glad my current town's water isn't fluoridated.

So does this video--which says that fluoridating water was a mistake from the beginning:



This website states that, "Up to 80 percent of young people in some U.S. cities have dental fluorosis, which is the first visible sign of excessive fluoride exposure. Fluoride also causes calcium deficiency, which can lead to osteoporosis, skeletal thinning, fractures, anemia and rickets." When you start looking into this stuff, it seems crazy that there are still so many places with fluoridated water!

Of course, all this information makes one wonder whether tap water really is the way to go, assuming yours is fluoridated. But keep in mind that some bottled water also has fluoride added. This website lists ways to remove fluoride, as well as what not to do (like boil it). My parents have used a distiller for many years and it looks like from this list, it may be the way to go, if you need to take measures. But there are additional ideas and information below the video, if you click on it to watch it on YouTube, including where to buy toothpaste without fluoride.

There is also a post at Passionate Homemaking on this same topic, complete with recipes for "toothsoap" and homemade toothpaste!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...