Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Friday, May 6, 2011

Say "No" to Bottled Water

Though my family drinks a lot of H20, we never buy bottled water, so I have never bought into the hype about it tasting better or being better for you than tap water. Even so, I found this eight-minute video interesting and informative as it teaches about "manufacturing demand" and how bottled water actually 1) isn't healthier for us than tap, 2) isn't cheaper than tap, and 3) isn't better for the environment. (Did you know that 80% of these bottles go to landfills--enough every week to circle the globe 5 TIMES?? And of the remaining 20% that are supposedly recycled, much of it is actually down-cycled!)

If you don't like the taste of your tap water (as I haven't always), just buy your own filter. This option is more economical and better for the environment than stocking up on those bottles of water.


Cher said...

interesting. i like this video, and it totally makes sense. i personally don't like the taste of bottled or filtered water. i feel lucky to have cheap clean water right in my home cuz i've lived places where that isn't the case.

Denae said...

I bought a couple of stainless steel bottles and now fill them up several times a day to fulfill my water needs when away from home. Stainless steel is one of the safest reusable materials, as many plastics are questionable. The bottles cost between $5-10 and should last forever.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...