Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

As I mentioned here, this year's Thanksgiving dinner didn't include any refined sugar for our family.  It was wonderful! I was in charge of the pumpkin pies and found a great recipe online to help me in my first efforts at creating them with honey. (I didn't want to go into it completely blind this time when I was feeding others.) The only modifying I did was to add spices according to my aunt's tried-and-true recipe. My pie plates are a smaller size, so this recipe made two pies for me.

PUMPKIN PIE

2 c. fresh pumpkin puree (or 15 oz. can pumpkin puree)
4 large eggs
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. whole milk
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In large bowl, beat the eggs until just mixed, then add all remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.

Pour carefully into unbaked pastry and then carefully lift into the oven. (I like to place pies on cookie sheets, just in case of spillage.)

Bake for 45 minutes, or until center is just set. (Custard will set up further during cooling.)

2 comments:

Miranda-Jayne said...

I am going to have to try this!!! I keep walking past our overdue pumpkins thinking that we need to eat them soon.

Katrina said...

Definitely! I have really learned to love homemade pumpkin puree because I love pumpkin soup, pancakes, muffins, cookies, pie, scones, bread, etc, etc. In fact, we've about run out of puree already (we didn't have much this year), so if you end up with more than you need, I'd be glad to take some off your hands. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...