1) It's very inexpensive to make (see the cost breakdown here)--about .05 cents per load,
2) I know exactly what's in it--and there are only 3 ingredients,
3) It will last a long time, since so little of it needs to be used per load, and
4) It makes my clothes smell fresh--just a hint of a scent--without smelling perfumed (which gives me a headache).
The recipe I used is from diyNatural:
Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent
Note: I made about 6 times this recipe at once (the amount of soap that would fit in my food processor). But as is, this makes about 32 oz. of detergent.
- 1 bar of shaved bar soap (I used Ivory and some leftover Zote I had on hand, and I put it through my food processor, which did a perfect job)
- 1 c. Borax
- 1 c. washing soda
Mix together thoroughly for five minutes.
You only need about 1 Tb. detergent per load, 2 Tb. for a heavily soiled load.