Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Monday, February 27, 2012

What Soy Foods to Avoid

For those who may have not taken the time to go to all the links I posted in my previous article on soy foods, I thought I would briefly post specifics on what soy foods to avoid (taken from this article). This is as much for my benefit as for anyone else's because, while I consciously avoid buying soy food products for my family, I sometimes forget what other names they are known by. And these ingredients are found so often in processed foods--yet another reason to make everything from scratch.

Soy foods to avoid include:
  • Soy milk
  • Soy protein powder/bars
  • Soy nuts
  • Soy cheese
  • Soy burgers
  • Soy yogurt
  • Soy ice cream
  • Soy baby formula
Less obvious soy foods to also avoid (which are typical in processed foods):
  • Textured vegetable protein (TVP)
  • Textured plant protein
  • Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
  • Vegetable protein concentrate
  • Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
  • Lecithin (usually from soy)
  • Vegetable oil (usually from soy)
  • Vegetable broth (usually from soy)
  • Bouillon (usually from soy)
  • Natural flavor (usually from soy)
  • Mono-diglyceride(usually from soy)
And for those with particular sensitivity to soy, the list is even more extensive, including isoflavones, guar gum, and mayonnaise. See this article for the entire list.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...