Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Zucchini Brownies

As I mentioned in my two posts about my zucchini bread recipes, about the only way I can guarantee my kids will eat zucchini is by baking it into goodies. This recipe is no exception. In fact, with all the chocolate in this, we keep forgetting it even has zucchini in it! I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and modified it, as usual, to substitute whole wheat flour and honey for the white flour and sugar. (Every time I make it we eat it too quick for pictures, but I'll try to catch one next time.)

Zucchini Brownies

2 c. whole wheat flour
2 Tb. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. honey
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. shredded zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet), if desired (to sprinkle on top)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease square cake pan.
Beat butter and honey with an electric mixer in large bowl until smooth.
Beat first egg into butter until completely blended, then beat in vanilla extract with last egg. 
Gradually mix in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until just incorporated. 
Fold in shredded zucchini, mixing just enough to evenly combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan. 
Sprinkle chocolate chips on top, if desired. (In a pinch, when I didn't have chocolate chips, I made chocolate cream cheese frosting instead.)
Bake at 350 until top is dry and edges have started to pull away from sides of pan, 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...