Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Quiche

I was first introduced to a truly savory quiche by a dear friend and roommate, over 10 years ago. This is her recipe and I've never found one to equal it. This is not a quick dish to whip up, unless you already have most items prepared already (which I rarely do). As a result, I don't make quiche very often--but when I do, we savor every bite.

Note: Omitting the bacon to make it a vegetarian dish is easy to do and still makes for a delicious meal.

Quiche

Make pie crust for 9" one-crust pie. (Do not use store-bought pie crust meant for sweet pies, as it will be too sweet for quiche.)

6 slices bacon, crisply fried and crumbled
1 c. shredded cheese (I like to use cheddar)
1/3 c. minced onion
4 eggs
2 c. whipping cream or 1 can of milk or 2 c. milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. red pepper or cayenne

Prepare pie crust.
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Sprinkle bacon, cheese, and onion into pastry-lined pie pan.
Beat eggs slightly. Beat in remaining ingredients. Pour cream mixture into pan.
Bake 15 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake 30 minutes longer or until tested. (Done like custard.) Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

juli said...

Sounds good. I like your idea about not using a pre-made crust. That is all I have ever used so I better try making my own!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...