Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pea and Corn Salad

I first posted this three years ago and it continues to be a family favorite, liked by all of my children (which is generally a difficult accomplishment).

This is my mother's variation on a family recipe that originally called for only peas, Accent (with MSG), chicken, and Pepper Jack cheese. I avoid using MSG, prefer this recipe without the chicken, don't like Pepper Jack cheese, and love the sweetness that only raw corn has, so this is how I now make this salad (but feel free to vary it according to your own family's tastes):

PEA AND CORN SALAD

1 lb. thawed frozen peas
1 lb. thawed frozen corn
cubed cheese (I usually use mozzarella)
croutons

dressing:
2/3 c. mayonnaise
3/4 tsp. salt or seasoned salt (without MSG)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic)
1 tsp. (or more) minced onion

Mix all ingredients thoroughly (to taste) and add croutons at the last minute. If I know that not all the salad will be eaten in one sitting, I will add croutons to only a portion of it, since croutons get soggy quickly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...