Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

If you live in the western section of the United States*, your area may have a wonderful produce program you can be involved in year-round, called Bountiful Baskets. And if you don't live here, I know there are similar programs in other areas as well. I was finally able to participate this past weekend and was delighted with the results! For $15 I got a huge basket of a great variety of fruits and vegetables, all fresh and in good shape, and all as locally grown as possible. There's no way I could get that kind of variety or quantity for $15 at my local grocery store! But this program doesn't just help those who purchase the produce, it also helps small farmers and cuts down on environmental waste, not to mention promoting healthier eating.

If you're interested in starting a Bountiful Baskets program, you can find the details here about what is required.

Does your area have a similar program? What is it called and how can someone obtain more information about it?

*2012 update: This program has now spread throughout the U.S. with new areas opening all the time, so check out the website for more information.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love Bountiful Baskets. We've been participating for about a year. We eat so much better now. I'm glad you were finally able to participate.

Rachel Robins said...

I really have enjoyed it too. They are drop sites all over Southern Utah (see website). I go to the one at the kid's school up the road, its been great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...