Here is another classic family recipe. I realized the other night that I hadn't made it for quite some time, so I was gratified that my kids really liked it.
2 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
2 Tb. honey
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
4 Tb. butter
1 c. buttermilk*
1/2 Tb. salt
1 egg, beaten
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas.
- Pour in buttermilk and egg at once and stir with wooden spoon till moistened.
- Turn on floured board, shape into ball (frankly, I skipped this step and it turned out just fine).
- Gently pat into greased 8" pie plate (mine is 9"). Cut quarters an inch deep on top.
- Bake at 375 degree for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter and any other desired toppings (such as honey or jam).