Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Apples Galore

We now have apples coming out of our ears, thanks to my aunt and uncle who loaded us up over Thanksgiving. I love, love, love fresh, free!, homegrown produce and was excited to get all these apples, but now I'm trying to decide what I want to do with them. They have blemished skins but taste great, and I would like to do some canning, in addition to just using them in my cooking. All you canning experts and apple aficionados, what do you suggest?

Also, here is a tip for storing apples that my grandpa taught us when I was growing up, in case you didn't already know: You can keep apples tasty (and even crispy) all winter by enclosing them in a paper sack which is inside a closed plastic bag in the fridge. So I will definitely be keeping some of them that way for the long term.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Shanna Olmsted makes apple butter. (And I get to enjoy all her hard work!) You'll have to ask her how to make it, but I can verify that it's delicious.

Brandi M said...

yay! I love fresh apples too. You can dry them for healthy snacks, make apple sauce, apple juice, apple pie mixture (I think you can bottle that ahead of time)... I'm sure there's others that I'm not thinking of right now. Enjoy!

Sarah Sharp said...

We love to do applesauce and apple pie slices. Sometimes we just eat the canned apple pie slices out of the jar! We do both canned and freezer apple pie filling.
I have never attempted apple butter, but love it when others do and then share it with us. ;)

Katrina said...

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...