Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Budget Saver Tip #26: Skip the Shampoo

I first heard about the "No-Poo" movement a couple years ago and made some changes then to how (and how often) I wash my hair. Then a couple months ago I watched this video and was reminded of what I'd meant to try long ago.

Video: Skip Shampoo - Use Baking Soda and Vinegar

So I tried it this week and, like the woman in this video, was pleasantly surprised. It didn't even feel harsh, like I thought it might. My thought was, If it doesn't work very well I can always rewash it with my regular shampoo. But my hair hasn't been greasy and my scalp hasn't even been itchy (which it often is in our dry western climate). In fact, my head feels very clean. So I think I may just have to keep experimenting with this. Maybe next I'll try the vinegar for conditioning...

The environmental impact difference between all the chemicals in shampoo and the lack thereof in baking soda is pretty obvious.

As for the economical difference, the shampoo and conditioner I buy are very inexpensive already, but baking soda and vinegar are so cheap and go so much farther that it's laughable! To illustrate: You can typically buy a pound (16 oz.) of baking soda for $1. When you consider that to wash your hair with it you need only a tablespoon (give or take, depending on the length and thickness of your hair), that pound could last a very long time. Similarly, vinegar goes for about $2 a gallon, which would also last a long time. Hmmm, this definitely gets my wheels turning.

2 comments:

Shennie said...

I'm going to try this. My hair gets so fuzzy with all the humidity and I've been trying to find a shampoo that calms the friz but doesn't leave it flat....
I've been told about dry shampoo but even if I found it I don't think I could pay $25 for a bottle.

Katrina said...

It's worth a try! I'll be interested to hear how it goes...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...