Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

School Lunch: Are You Kidding Me?

Have you seen this?  (Maybe I'm the only one without TV here...)



I, who have not had TV reception for over a year, sadly had not heard much about Jamie Oliver and his "Food Revolution."  So when I watched this clip of his experience in WV, I was as horrified as he was.  I so wish I could do what he is doing--boy, does our country need a revolution!--but since I can't, I'm glad someone has the guts and the ability to do it.  Too bad it had to be someone from outside our country!

On one of my favorite nutrition blogs a while back, the author wrote about this very topic and even mentioned Jamie Oliver.  His post came at a time when I had just withstood the temptation to enroll my daughter in the free school lunch program.  I'm so glad I didn't give in to that so I can continue providing her with the healthful food she needs and enjoys.  I don't want that one meal outside the home to sabotage my efforts! 

I realize there are some schools that are making positive changes in their school lunch programs (like the school in OH where my daughter attended), but most are feeding their kids crap.  And I don't use that word anymore.


I also don't use the phrase Jamie uses at the end of this video--but that's exactly how I feel too.  These kids have no concept of good nutrition and are literally being handed terrible eating habits on a silver platter.  What a great way to set the groundwork for diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and early death, eh?  The poor kids undoubtedly feel chronically disgusting and don't even know it.  Talk about "overfed and undernourished"!

I guess my revolution will just be small, in one family at a time, as they make small improvements in their lifestyles, and as my seven-year-old daughter offhandedly teaches her peers about the evils of sugar and the goodness of whole wheat and honey...

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I don't watch much TV either. We just have rabbit ears on our set! I have heard of this show, but have never seen it. Thanks so much for sharing this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...