Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Budget Saver Tip #28: Make Your Own Dishwasher Detergent

Budget Saver Tip#28: Make Your Own Dishwasher Detergent

A while back, a cousin of mine sent me this link to a recipe for homemade laundry detergent, which is something I've meant to make for a long time--and still intend to do. But after realizing how often I have to buy dishwasher detergent, versus laundry detergent, I opted to first try the former. So far I'm hooked! Not only does homemade dishwasher detergent cost less, but it also has much fewer ingredients and no funky chemicals. (One thing I hadn't thought about is that commercial detergents have a chemical in them that prevents buildup in the plumbing. This site offers a solution for that.)

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I will direct you to a couple of the sites I found. I've seen several places with detergent recipes and they're all very similar. (Note: I have found they range between recommending 1 to 2 Tb. detergent per load):

The New Homemaker-I haven't tried mine with essential oils yet and it works fine without them. If your essential oils are pure without fillers of any kind, 30 drops per batch is way over the top; 10 would probably be more than adequate.

DIYNatural has a cost savings breakdown, which is cool to see the visual and compare.






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...