Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Quick Chicken Enchiladas (Without Canned Soup)

The other night I wanted to make something with the whole wheat tortillas we had and decided on chicken enchiladas. But I needed a fast recipe because my time was limited. And since I don't cook with canned soups anymore, I needed a recipe that didn't use any. I was willing to make up my own, if need be, but I thought I'd check online and see if anyone had already done the legwork for me. I'm glad I looked because there was a delicious recipe here, on Food.com. There's a beautiful picture there with the original recipe. I made a couple of changes to speed up the process and also added vegetables.

Quick Chicken Enchiladas

1 lb. chicken breast, or 1 pint home-canned chicken breast, diced or shredded
1 medium onion, chopped
Vegetable(s) of choice, diced and cooked (I cooked and pureed a zucchini, tricking my daughter into eating it, since she didn't know it was there :))
10 whole wheat flour tortillas, warmed until pliable
1 1/2 c. grated cheese of your choice, divided
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth (or homemade stock)
1 c. sour cream

Cook onion and vegetables in small amount of oil, until done.

Melt butter in medium pan, stir in flour to make sauce. Stir and cook until bubbly, then slowly pour in chicken broth and bring to boiling, stirring frequently.

Remove sauce from heat. Stir in sour cream, diced or shredded chicken, chopped and cooked onion, and 3/4 c. of the shredded cheese. Salt and pepper (or other spices) to taste.

Fill tortillas with chicken sauce mixture, fold, roll, and place in baking dish. Leave 1/2 c. to 1 c. sauce at end to pour over prepared tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese over all.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce near edges is bubbly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...