Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Friday, April 27, 2012

Sneaky Zucchini Chicken Nuggets (Vegetarians, Please see P.S.)

I love the name of these and love even more how well they worked for my kids! My children could count on one hand how many times they've eaten chicken nuggets in their lives, so they were pretty excited to find out what Mommy was making. My 7-year-old said they didn't taste like the chicken nuggets she's eaten, but I explained about the health difference between these and the fast food version and she still liked them. My 4-year-old was a bit turned off by their appearance and didn't think she wanted any. But eventually she came around (about the time we pulled out the ketchup to go with them), and then she couldn't stop eating them! That really did my heart good, to see how by once again being sneaky I was able to get her and her older sister to eat "yucky squash." The baby, of course, loved them without question. He just loves food, period. :)


You can find the original recipe here (along with a great picture) and I didn't make any alterations to the ingredients. Since I have home-canned chicken, I used that and it made things very fast and easy with my immersion blender attachments.


P.S. I have visions of making this recipe into an all-veggie version that my kids would eat. If any of you figure out the perfect combo, let me know!

Sneaky Zucchini Chicken Nuggets

1 1/2 c. zucchini, grated
1 lb. cooked, shredded chicken (the original recipe uses ground chicken)
1 egg
1 tsp. onion salt
2 c. crushed corn flakes or bread crumbs (or cracker crumbs--whatever you have on hand)

In large bowl, mix together zucchini, chicken, egg, and onion salt until well combined. 

Lightly grease cookie sheet.

Form 1-2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into small balls and coat in bread crumbs, then press flat (until about 1/2 inch thick). Transfer to a prepared cookie sheet. 

Once nuggets have been formed and breaded, spray light layer of nonstick cooking spray over nuggets (I omitted this part since I don't have any spray and they still worked fine)

 Cook at 400 degrees for 13-15 minutes, or just until nuggets have cooked thoroughly. Serve with homemade ranch dressing and garden-fresh tomatoes (or if you have small children, ketchup might just do the trick).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...