Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Kale Chips

We got a bunch of Tuscan kale in a recent Bountiful Basket and I decided to make kale chips out of it. (You can find the recipe at bonapetit.com.) I didn't hold out very high expectations that my kids would like kale this way, but I had to try. And I'm so glad I did! Surprisingly, all three of my kids loved the "chips", despite the bitter aftertaste (which I didn't mind).* Plus, the recipe is super easy.

*I have now tried this recipe with a few different kinds of kale--including the beautiful purple variety. It works on all of them--and the purple kind didn't even have an aftertaste.

Kale Chips

About 12 large Tuscan kale leaves, rinsed, dried, cut lengthwise in half, center ribs and stems removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 250°F. Toss cut kale with oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange leaves in single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Bake until crisp, about 30 minutes for flat leaves and up to 33 minutes for wrinkled leaves.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...