Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Lavender

Lavender essential oil is one of the most versatile oils there are, which is why it is also one of the most popular. And because it is so gentle, it is very well tolerated by most people, including babies.

Speaking of babies, the other day, I tried lavender on my son's diaper rash for the first time. He has been getting bad diaper rashes lately, and while diaper rash ointments help somewhat, they don't do the job quickly enough or do as good of a job as they should.

One night, shortly before his bath, I noticed that his rash was particularly painful. So I added three drops of lavender to the bath water and then proceeded to bathe him and his sisters. He thoroughly enjoyed the water, so I let him stay in it for about 30 minutes. When I took him out and dried him off, I noticed that his diaper rash was greatly improved. In fact, the redness and soreness was so reduced I couldn't believe it! That is fast-acting stuff, and powerful too (remember, I only used three drops in all that water)!

Seeing this result, I decided to try lavender on a burn I got while cooking a few days later. Generally I'll use aloe vera on burns, but I knew lavender was great for healing burns, too, and I hadn't really tried it before. I'm so glad I did! My burn healed much faster than usual and only hurt the first day. So maybe our aloe vera plant has been demoted to decorative purpose only...

2 comments:

Cher said...

so interesting! we have a few essential oils, but not this one. maybe we'll have to get some. where do you buy yours?

Katrina said...

Lavender is great for so many things! Which oils do you have? We get ours from doTerra and I order every month. If there is anything you would like to try, you can order through me, if you'd like, since I get them at a discounted price. Or if you already use oils regularly and it would therefore be worth it to you, you could sign up under me (or someone else) to buy your own every month. The oils have been a great blessing to our family.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...