Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Friday, January 18, 2013

Improving Your Emotional Health in 2013

So many of us--particularly women--do a lot of negative self-talk on a daily basis. Most of us probably aren't tuned in with this or realize how often we cut ourselves down, but we do it a lot. What if there were a way you could undo this and learn to be kinder to yourself and spread that positivity to others?

In modern Western society as a whole, we not only neglect our physical health, but also our emotional health, which gets even less attention--and I'm not talking antidepressants. Yet, how can we be truly whole or feel completely healthy if we are not emotionally sound?

For the last couple years I have heard of  "Tapping" from a few different people but didn't really know what it was. So I recently looked into it and realized I've already done it while being treated with NAET and the Emotion Code. But I didn't know I could do it on my own and that I don't have to go to an alternative medicine practitioner to experience the benefits--much like the Emotion Code. So I decided to try it to improve how I feel about myself in a specific area (and who can't use a little of that?). So far, so good!

"Tapping," or the Emotional Freedom Technique reminds me of the Emotion Code in its use of positive thoughts and energy, its focus on letting go of negative emotions, the way it works in concert with prayer (if you are religious), and how it teaches you to accept and love yourself while you do all of the above. One thing that makes Tapping different from the Emotion Code is how it uses the psychological acupressure points "based on the same energy meridians used in traditional acupuncture to treat physical and emotional ailments for over five thousand years, but without the invasiveness of needles" (Source). This helps you retrain your emotions to think and feel positively about yourself, instead of reverting to all that negative self-talk. Doing this improves your emotional health but can also:
  • Reduce Food Cravings
  • Reduce or Eliminate Pain
  • Implement Positive Goals (like weight loss or diet/lifestyle improvements)
There are other websites that detail the Emotional Freedom Technique, but the Mercola website (linked above) is the one I have been learning from the most. If you are tired of thinking and feeling negatively about yourself, I invite you to learn about this technique and try it for yourself!

I also recommend reading this article, Drops of Awesome, by a regular mom who came to what I think was an epiphany about how to recognize the daily good she does, one little drop at a time. This way of making our self-talk positive is something I've been trying to work on ever since I read the article. 

I hope you will join me as we work together to improve our emotional health this year!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...