Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Squash and Potato Gratin

As the garden season begins to wind down in most areas of the country, some of us are still looking for new squash recipes. I love squash of all types, but I have to have variety! And I understand that not everyone likes squash. Two of my kids don't, so I'm always looking for new ways of serving it. (I have this mommy quest of converting them eventually...) So when I came across this recipe on the Bountiful Baskets blog, I knew I had to give it a try. Verdict? Well, not everyone loved it, but everyone tried it, and it's definitely one I'll be making again. It's so full of flavor! With the basil, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese, it just shouts Italian.

Squash and Potato Gratin

2 medium yellow summer squash
1 pound red or russet potatoes
3 Tb. olive oil
8 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese (I used less by just sprinkling it over each layer until it seemed enough)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. milk
1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. dried basil

Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish.

Slice squash and potatoes very, very thin. Place in bowl; toss with olive oil.

Place 1/3 of squash and potato slices into bottom of pan. Spread evenly.

Season with salt and pepper and half of cheese.
Repeat layering with 1/3 of veggies, seasoning with S&P, and sprinkling with cheese.

Finish gratin by layering final veggies on top and seasoning with S&P.

Pour milk over casserole, then top with Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes covered, then uncover and finish baking for 15 minutes (or more, until veggies are tender and cheese is golden brown).

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...