Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Carrot-Zucchini Muffins

Remember that carrot-zucchini cake I made? Well, I had some shredded carrots and zucchini left and decided to make some muffins. Much to my surprise, I found a recipe that already called for both veggies (and modified it, of course). We loved the result, but next time I make it I'll cut down the honey some, since it was too sweet for me. (I cut it down here.)

Note: I wasn't sure if the way my food processor shredded the veggies was fine enough for muffins, so I put them in the blender with a little water and turned them to mush, and that worked just fine.

Carrot-Zucchini Muffins


2/3 c. vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2/3 c. honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/2 c. finely shredded carrot

Grease 12 muffin cups (or use those little muffin papers).

In mixing bowl beat oil, eggs, honey, and vanilla.

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add to wet ingredients; stir until blended. Fold in shredded zucchini and carrots.

Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with cinnamon and/or raw sugar, if desired. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Brandi M said...

yum! sounds good! I can't wait to get wheat and a grinder so I can start making homemade wheat foods!

jcgk said...

Guess whose picky, non-vegetable- eating son ate these!?!?!? I made a double batch and left the first batch plain and put a few mini chocolate chips in the second batch...because, well, my kids will try ANYTHING with choc. chips. :) They're scrumptious. A carrot has never made it past Reiker's gag reflex. Today, zucchini and carrots! I may try subbing pumpkin another time since the boys have eaten pumpkin cookies before.

Katrina said...

Oh happy day! Congratulations, stealthy (persistent) Mommy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...