I made that creamy pumpkin soup I wrote about the other day (minus the cinnamon) and a new breadstick recipe that we enjoyed, which is a variation on our usual, best-loved breadsticks:
- 1 1/4 c. warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp. yeast
- 3 c. whole wheat flour (or 1 c. cracked wheat, 1 c. wheat flour, 1 c. white flour)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1Tb. vegetable oil
1 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or 1/2 c. bottled variety)
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 Tb. butter, melted
sesame seeds (to be sprinkled)
- Coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine warm water and yeast, allow yeast to soften.
- Add salt, flour(s), and oil. Combine until well mixed and dough is proper consistency (should be stiff).
- Mix in Parmesan cheese and garlic.
- Remove dough from bowl and with rolling pin roll out into rectangular shape until flat and thin (about 1/4 inch--or about size of large cookie sheet). Cut into finger-width strips.
- Brush top of dough strips with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Allow to rise while oven warms.
- Bake at 400°F until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes.