Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Turn it Down!

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I found the following information interesting about how to better protect our hearing (or our children's). In the November 2010 issue of Reader's Digest (p. 76) I was shocked to learn that "One in five adolescents now suffers from hearing loss--a 30 percent jump from just two decades ago. The loss is mild, but it means more teens are hearing only about as well as a typical 40- to 60-year old." Wow. I don't want that to be my kid!

So here are the article's suggestions for protecting this precious sense most of us take for granted:
  • 60 - You can listen all day if you keep the volume at 60 percent of the max
  • 80 for 90 -You can boost the volume to 80 percent for 90 minutes a day
  • 100 - If you want to crank up the volume as high as it'll go, keep it short--just five minutes a day.
This is particularly referring to iPods, but I'm sure the same principle applies for other modes of music listening.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...