Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Amazing Aloe

Most of us know that aloe vera is the best possible remedy for burns, and that it is used in many lotions and other body care products. I recently learned that it is also excellent for clearing up eczema and athlete's foot, among other skin ailments. My youngest daughter has particularly sensitive skin, so we'll have to try out these other topical usages.

I have been reading up on other uses for aloe vera, since my father-in-law gave us a big bottle of aloe vera juice. I have heard the last few years about how good the juice is for internal health, but I've never tried it. I knew aloe was amazing for the skin, but I had no idea it can do all this!:

Taking Aloe Vera Orally...
(see complete list of topical and oral uses here)

  • Relieves indigestion and symptoms of IBS
  • Relieves heartburn, arthritis and rheumatism pain
  • Lowers blood sugar levels (particularly good for diabetics)
  • Strengthens gums and promotes strong, healthy teeth
  • Helps ease congestion, stomach ulcers, colitis, hemorrhoids, urinary tract infections and prostate problems
  • Reduces cholesterol
  • Excellent detoxifier
And, as long as the aloin* is removed during processing, aloe vera is non-toxic and has no known side effects. (site)

*aloin is used primarily as a laxative, whereas processed aloe vera juice that does not contain significant amounts of aloin is used as a digestive healer. (wikipedia)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...