Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Friday, March 25, 2011

The "New" Truth About Fats

Like so many other whole foods, fats are proving themselves not to be the evil villain the last couple generations were led to believe. (Honestly, if you read the literature, it was brainwashing, if you ask me.) Although, much of our medical and health education community still haven't picked up on this yet.

I've talked about this before (here and here and here), and I'm sure this won't be the last time, but it's on my mind again because I read another excellent article about the topic on Word of Wisdom Living. In it, the author, like Michael Pollan, advises: "Eat what your great-grandmother ate. Butter, olive oil, and lard." That's what we've been eating in my little family for a while now, with the only recent addition of lard (though I don't have a lot of experience cooking with it yet). If you're wondering why--or how these fats aren't considered "bad" anymore--read the above links. Of course, this isn't to say we should slather our food with these fats either. Remember, moderation is a good watch word for everything.

My favorite quote from this article is, I think, very wise: "Allow a century of use before assuming a new man-made food is healthy." Why it takes so much research to prove that these natural, no- or low-processed types of fats are actually better for us than all those chemically processed and modified fats is beyond me. Sense and logic tell us that the closer foods are to their natural state, the easier and better they are on the body, and the healthier they make us. So it shouldn't surprise us that they taste better too!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...