Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Thursday, May 17, 2012

"Super Salad"--or Kids and Veggies, 2

My kids' favorite salad meal is when I use our Bountiful Baskets salad veggies, make lots of toppings, and they get to make their own Super Salad. I love that they like this kind of dinner (even my 4-year-old, who only eats a couple lettuce leaves) because it's easy, healthy, and can be prepared ahead of time, if need be.

In fact, a couple nights ago when I made this dinner again, my 7-year-old exclaimed, "Mommy, you should write this recipe on the computer so other people can make it!" Her enthusiasm surprised me, and of course there's really no need for a recipe, but I thought, why not talk about it? This idea probably works for other people's kids too.

So here is what we do for our Super Salad night:

Main Salad:
Fresh green leaf lettuce (various types), broken into bite-sized pieces
Tomatoes, diced
Carrots (shredded or thinly sliced)--if available
Cucumbers, diced--if available

Toppings:
Cheese, cubed
Eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, and diced
Canned beans, rinsed (for salads, my favorites are kidney and black beans)
Hamburger, cooked and salted to taste with Real Salt, or seasoned with my homemade taco seasoning (I will note--again--that this topping is totally unnecessary, except when I have to resort to it for the oft-mentioned daughter, who is chronically low on iron)
Raisins
Salad dressing of choice

Another thing I love about this meal is that it makes more than one meal's worth and tastes great as leftovers, and can be added to subsequent meals as a side dish.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...