Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Stuffed Mushrooms

Dishes such as this never end up looking very attractive, but for me this dish is a delicacy. If you don't like mushrooms (as my daughters don't--yet), you're missing out! This is a traditional family recipe from my mother's side that I remember eating at special family gatherings as a small child. Nowadays I still don't get them very often, but when I do make them, I relish every bite, and so does my husband. (I suppose not having to share them with our two daughters isn't such a bad thing after all...)

Stuffed Mushrooms
Yield: about 12 mushrooms

Wash 8 oz. container fresh mushrooms
Trim any problem spots and carefully pop out stems
Chop up stems
Cook and crumble sausage (I use Jimmy Dean's All Natural 16 oz. roll pork sausage. Only 1/4 of package or less is needed for this recipe, so I just save the rest of the cooked sausage in the freezer for another recipe)

Remove sausage from pan when fully cooked and cook the following in the drippings:
1/4 of small onion, chopped fine
Chopped mushroom stems
Once onion and mushroom stems are soft, add 1/4 of 8 oz. package cream cheese to pan until melted and mixed well. Add a few sprinkles of powdered sage. Add crumbled sausage back in (see sausage note above).
Stuff mushrooms with cream cheese mixture and place in small square casserole dish. Cook at 350 degrees for 20-30 min. Serve warm.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...