Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup


I've been trying for a while to find a good butternut squash soup recipe that my kids would like, and I think I've finally hit upon the right one. This comes from Taste of Home and I modified very little (just used chicken broth instead of the MSG- laden chicken bullion). There's just something so warm and comforting about the nutty, buttery flavor of a bowl of this wholesome, filling soup.

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 2 servings--so for a family, you'll need to double or triple this recipe

1/4 c. chopped onion
1 Tb. butter
3 c. cubed peeled butternut squash
1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
1-1/2 c. water
1 can chicken broth (about 2 c.)
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash pepper
1/4 c. evaporated (or other) milk
I also added some celery and shredded zucchini, which I needed to use up and also needed to disguise so my kids would eat it. Since this soup is pureed at the end, it's a great one to throw extra veggies into for added color, flavor, and nutrition.

In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. 

Add squash and potato (and other veggies, if using); cook and stir for 2 minutes. 

Add chicken broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Cool slightly. Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), process soup until smooth. Return to pan; stir in milk and heat through.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...