Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Friday, February 4, 2011

Chiles Rellenos Casserole

Another less-used produce item we received in our Bountiful Basket was long, sweet peppers (green).*  I was relieved they weren't jalapenos, since my heat tolerance is now back down to low, due to my not-often-enough contact with real Mexican food. (Sigh.) I decided I wanted to make chiles rellenos with the peppers, but not wanting to actually fry them in oil, I found a recipe on allrecipes.com (which I modified, surprise, surprise) for a casserole that looked quick and easy. While my kids weren't thrilled by it (they don't like peppers), my husband and I thought it was delicious! In fact, if we hadn't finished it already, I'd like some right now...

*I also make this with red, yellow, and orange peppers, as seen in the picture.

Chiles Rellenos Casserole

About five medium long, green chilies, cut in half with seeds and pulp removed, sliced into small pieces.
About 1 c. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
About 1 c. Mozzarella or Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 eggs, beaten
1 (5 oz) can evaporated or regular milk
2 Tb. flour
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
Lay half of the chilies evenly in bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and cover with remaining chilies.

In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and flour, and pour over the top of the chilies.

Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, pour tomato sauce evenly over the top, and continue baking another 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...