Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Banana Bread

The other day I went to make this and realized (with some amazement) that I hadn't posted the recipe yet! This isn't your typical banana bread recipe, since it has no refined sugar and uses whole wheat flour. That means that, while it is sweet and delicious, it is also much healthier for you than the dry, white (often bland) stuff most people make. :)


Banana Bread

1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. honey or less
2 eggs
2 c. whole wheat flour (or if you are using red wheat, 1 c. white and 1 c. wheat)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. mashed bananas (about 3)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg (or more, if you like it as much as I do)

Cream butter and honey.
Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.
Add smashed bananas.
Combine flour, soda, salt, spices. Stir. Add to creamed mixture and mix until smooth.
Pour into greased pan. (Makes one regular loaf or 12 muffins.) Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes (less time for smaller loaves or muffins--about 45 min), or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. If needed, cover with foil last 10-15 min to avoid overbrowning.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

swjensen said...

I made the banana bread Friday evening for a work party on Saturday. My husband really likes this. I had to tell him not to over-indulge because I used whole wheat flour (except about a fourth of a cup of all purpose flour, sorry). I may take it to work to share. One of my bosses isn't supposed to have refined sugar.

Katrina said...

Awesome! I hope your co-workers like it, especially your boss. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...