Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Friday, August 12, 2011

The 5 Love Languages of Children

I became acquainted with the five love languages several years ago and learned to identify what my own "love language" is, as well as that of those close to me. When my husband and I were first married, we read one of the love languages books, which we found to be very valuable (and is something I would like to do again).

This book in the picture is the one directed specifically for parents and I recently finished reading it for the second time. I'm so glad I read it again because it helped me re-realize the importance of knowing how each of our children feels love and "speaking" that language. With some children, it's obvious what their love language is--like with my second daughter--and easy to fill up their "love tank." With others, it's not so easy. My oldest is one such child and so re-reading this book helped immensely in pinpointing her love language and what I need to do to fill her love tank. I'm not always good at doing this, but I'm getting better, and it is pretty amazing the difference I see in her behavior and level of contentment when I've spoken her language that day in a way that helps her feel validated.

I've been thinking about this concept a lot lately, and about how interconnected our emotional and physical health are. A person who chronically does not feel appreciated or cared about won't function on as high a level of health and optimum physical performance as someone who does. Of course, we all love our families and want the best for them, and this love languages philosophy is one thing that can make a big difference when put into practice.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'd like to read that book. I've read the original Love Language book, but not the one for parents and children.

Katrina said...

Those are the only two I've read, but there are several. Maybe when my children are older I'll have to read the one for teens...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...