Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Canning Pickles

A couple weeks ago I was grateful to receive several cucumbers from neighbors, since the ones we planted never produced. (We'll be tweaking the garden for next year; every year we learn something new.) I had planted cucumbers mostly because I wanted to make pickles, since I remembered all the homemade pickles I ate growing up, and how inferior the store variety tasted compared to them. I also wanted to can pickles because I didn't want to buy them but I did want them in our food storage.

It wasn't a huge canning project (which is good, since I don't yet have the energy for anything too big anyway), but it was enough to help me feel I accomplished something and to give me a sense of self-sufficiency.

I look forward to tasting them in 4-6 weeks, when the pickles have cured!

(If anyone would like the recipe, let me know. It's pretty basic and does not include any of that pre-packaged pickle solution stuff.)

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...