Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Monday, August 15, 2011

Brewer's Yeast

I grew up drinking Brewer's Yeast in orange juice and loving it. I don't know if it's one of those things you have to grow up with to like, but I still love it. It just feels good to drink. And I like how it tastes, too. I started drinking it again lately, hoping it will boost my immune system, which is shot after all the antibiotics I had for pneumonia (remember, antibiotics kill the bad bacteria in your gut, but they also kill the good bacteria, which keeps you healthy). After having pneumonia, I developed C-dif, and now am getting over a bad cold. All this in about 5-weeks' time. I am definitely ready to be healthy and strong again!

Brewer's yeast is also called nutritional yeast (the inactive form of yeast) and is chock-full of vitamins and minerals. I had never looked at the nutrition information on Brewer's Yeast, so I was very impressed when I did so the other day and found that it contains a longer list than I care to type here, including amino acids, protein, and the B-complex vitamins. According to the information I found online, many vegans and vegetarians sprinkle it on their food to help them eat a balanced diet.

So you might try it, if you need a boost too. It's certainly worth a try!

1 comment:

realpch said...

Oh, I love it too. I drank it when I was young & I liked the taste right away. I still find the combo delicious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...