Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Monday, October 14, 2013

Cornbread

I first posted this recipe three years ago. It continues to be, not only a Family Favorite, but also a staple side dish--and very easy to whip up.

Original post:
The first time I remember tasting "someone else's" cornbread--at Marie Calendar's, as I recall--I thought it tasted like cake! It was much too sweet for my liking and turned to sticky paste in my mouth (like white bread does). Not long ago, my preschool-aged daughter tried her first cornbread that someone else had made, and she said the exact same thing, which I found ironic. I still prefer Mom's recipe above all others I have tasted, and especially love that it really tastes like it's made with cornmeal. This is the real deal--undoubtedly much the same as what our ancestors would have made back before the widespread use of white flour.

CORNBREAD

2 c. whole wheat flour
8 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. yellow cornmeal
1/4 c. honey
4 beaten eggs
2 c. milk
1/3 c. oil

Stir together first 3 ingredients, then add cornmeal. Add other ingredients and beat just until smooth. 
Pour into greased 9 x 13" pan.
Bake 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees, or until browned slightly. Serve with butter and honey.

Note: I used to let each person cut their own piece of cornbread in half and spread butter and honey inside it, but now--as shown in these pictures--I slather both on top of the whole hot pan-full at once.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...