Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Friday, October 18, 2013

Pioneer Stew

My family likes this stew almost as much as my mom's traditional chili, and that's really saying something! I first posted this Family Favorite two years ago. (This updated picture shows that this time I made it with stewing beef instead of ground beef.)

Original post:
Not long ago, a former roommate of mine gave me a bean recipe* that I thought sounded fantastic. So I made it and it was! Note: The ground beef could easily be eliminated and it would still be a delicious dish.

Pioneer Stew

1 1/4 c. (1/2 pound) dry pinto or kidney beans (I used both) (or 3 or 4 cans of beans)
1/2 to 1 pound ground beef
1/2 c. finely diced green pepper
1/2 c. chopped onion
one 16 oz. can whole kernel corn with juice (I used frozen mixed vegetables instead)
one 16 oz can tomatoes with juice
1/2 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I only had mild)

Cook the beans, using package directions (and/or my tips here).

In skillet, cook ground beef, chopped onion, and green pepper until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat.

Add meat mixture, corn, tomatoes, chili powder, and salt to taste to beans. Simmer 20 minutes. After tasting, I always add more chili powder too, and even a bay leaf if the taste still isn't savory enough.

Combine 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water. Stir into stew, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese.

*Recipe attributed to a cookbook put out by the Kolob Springville Utah Stake Relief Society and Home Storage Committee - June 2004.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...