Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cypress Essential Oil

A little over a year ago I had varicose vein surgery on one leg, which was a very good decision for me. It improved my symptoms markedly, not to mention the cosmetic aspects. Ever since that surgery, I have been using a drop or two of Cypress essential oil on both legs after my shower each night, diluted with some coconut oil in the palm of my hand. I still have a few, more minor, varicose veins in both legs, so I'm hoping to help them not get out of hand, if possible.

I knew that Cypress is good for varicose veins and I liked its smell, but I wasn't sure it was doing any good--ie, improving circulation--so I quit using it after a few months. A couple nights later I experienced an uncomfortable return of restless leg syndrome, which made it difficult to sleep. I couldn't figure out what the problem was or how to fix it that night. But the next night after my shower I suddenly realized it could have been the Cypress--or lack thereof. So I decided to rub some on my legs again and see if my night went any better. It did! I was honestly surprised. And delighted to realize that what I'd been using on faith for a few months was really doing what it was supposed to.

Interestingly enough, each month when menstruation arrives, I also feel the urge to apply Cypress to my abdomen and other areas that hurt during that time, such as my hips. This made sense to me, just from the perspective that it improves blood flow. But come to find out, Cypress is historically known as also being good for menstrual pain and flow, specifically. So I'll be sure to keep up my supply of this wonderful essential oil!

There are many other possible uses for Cypress, which can be found here. Like most essential oils, it has amazingly versatile properties, as it is antibacterial, anti-infectious, antimicrobial, mucolytic, astringent, diuretic, lymphatic, and antiseptic, among others. For further ideas (and testimonials), see this site for more information.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...