Recipes and Tips for Healthier Living and Smarter Budgeting

Friday, April 23, 2010

The Dangers of Nitrates

Lately I've been learning about nitrates and I keep being surprised by how many products have them. My family doesn't eat much processed food, obviously, but we do eat things like lunch meat and the occasional kielbasa sausage. Now what I am learning about nitrates is making me rethink even this small amount. Below is a quote from an informative article found at organicconsumers.org:

"Sodium nitrite is a dangerous, cancer-causing ingredient that has no place in the human food supply," [says nutritionist Mike Adams]. The USDA actually tried to ban sodium nitrite in the 1970's, but was preempted by the meat processing industry, which relies on the ingredient as a color fixer to make foods look more visually appealing. "The meat industry uses sodium nitrite to sell more meat products at the expense of public health," says Adams. "And this new research clearly demonstrates the link between the consumption of processed meats and cancer."

2 comments:

Anders said...

I keep finding things out about grocery store meat; I would love to be able to buy grass-fed beef and poultry but it's difficult to obtain and expensive. Thoughts?

Katrina said...

I agree. I think as time passes and more people become aware of these problems and are active in their desires to eat healthier meat (and dairy products), more organizations/groups/co-ops will arise that will make this easier. But I don't know that the cost will go down anytime soon. My thoughts: Move to the country and start your own farm...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...